Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Reruns - What You Talkin' About?

.

Don't you just LOVE bloggy Sunday reruns!?! Thanks so much to Chari over at Happy to Design for hosting Sunday Favorites.


"Words Will Hurt - - -"

(First posted on 4/14/07)


I don't usually put an editorial on my blog, but I am today.

If you live in America and are not in a coma, I fail to see how you could have missed all the furor this week over words spoken on the public air-waves by a prominent radio talk show host.

I don't think the point of all this is really whether or not you like the talk show host, or whether or not other people or groups of people have ever used ill-advised language. I don't think this is simply about racism or the use of racism as humor. I don't even think the point of all this is whether or not reaction this week has been too fast or too "knee-jerk."

I DO think the point of this IS words. Once spoken, they cannot be taken back. Once spoken they are "out there" to help or to harm. Makes what words we use of utmost importance, doesn't it?

Remember the old adage we yelled at another child, with tears streaming down our faces, when we were 8? "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will NEVER hurt me." It wasn't true then, and it isn't true now. Even though less poetic the phrase should have been: Sticks and stones may break my bones which will eventually heal and not bother me to speak of later, but words WILL hurt me now and continue to hurt me on a level that will never completely heal and that I will never forget.

.

5 comments:

Connie N. said...

This is SO true, and well put. I think we can all probably recall something said to us that really hurt then, and may still hurt now.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Keetha...

Girlfriend, I missed you last week! So happy to see you back for Sunday Favorites today!!!

Great post to share with us today for Sunday Favorites, my friend! I remember this incident that you metioned...so sad! I totally agree with "your take" on this! Words are powerful vessels...they can either "build up" or "tear down"! I remember teaching a series on this very subject for an adult Sunday school class! God help me, but I do try to weigh my words before speaking! I love the "grown up" version of "Sticks and stones"...so very true, my friend!!!

Thank you for sharing this bit of wisdom with us today...

Have a super Sunday, Darlin'!
Chari

Lori E said...

I am often stunned by what people say. Just gobsmacked.

Sarah said...

I totally agree. Words can be extremely hurtful and the pain they can inflict can last a lifetime. All of us need to be aware of what we say to or about others. Thanks for sharing this. I'm new to Blogville so I hadn't seen this post before. ~ Sarah

Lori R. said...

My mom has a plaque in her kitchen, no lie, it says, "Dear God, please help me keep my mouth shut today". She used to tell me that people that love you the most can say the most hurtful things. Why is that? But it seems to be so true.
If this was referring to the Imus thing, that man should have lost much more than he did. No second chances after what he said...