Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Signs of Spring in Central Wisconsin

.

Of late I have seen many "signs of spring" posts out there in the blogosphere. Most of them are redolent with daffodils, tulips, and flowering trees.

With the first day of spring just days away, both by the calendar and the tilt of the Earth upon its axis, even those of us who reside on the frozen tundra are beginning to see signs that spring is coming.

I thought I'd share some of OUR signs with you.


We have begun to notice some patches of bare ground in our yards, which lets us know there truly IS grass under that snow somewhere - - - having not seen it since the first week in December, we had begun to wonder.


I found Waldo. I didn't even have to search - - - when the snow receded, THERE HE WAS!


I spied the tops of our shrubbery.

If you don't think this looks like spring progress, just look here for a comparison.


Most of the snow has melted off of our roofs.


Our street is dry and clear of all evidence of snow or ice.


I can now find a strip of lawn between the driveway and the snow.


The mailboxes are no longer playing hide-and-go-seek in the snowbanks.


The trees are beginning to THINK about budding.


All of the ice fishing villages have disappeared from the lakes, though SOME of the shanties still remain, unused and forgotten in the parking lot.


The ice on the lakes is beginning to melt - - - looking spongy and thin in places.

All of the approaches to the ice are muddy messes.


The mighty workin' Wisconsin River is ice free and rising.


And last but not least, parking lots are filled with rivulets - - -


Of melted snow running into the nearest storm drain.

Oh - - - but never fear - - - one day we too shall have signs of new growth, about the time it is all OLD HAT to the rest of you.

And just so you know I "ain't" exaggeratin' - - - I took all these pictures THIS WEEK.

:-)

.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Signs of hope! Good news! The world needs a little good news today.

Terra said...

You did a great job with these photos and all the hints of spring to come.

podso said...

I can definitely see those signs of spring. I bet the air is feeling a bit different too. Here it is suddenly really different, 80 tomorrow and time to mow the very green grass. (that is, green for now...soon to turn brown in the heat).

Theresa said...

I am happy that Spring is peeking out in your area! Enjoy the changes! HUGS!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I've always liked the word rivulet. Thanks for using it :)

I took a picture of snap dragons today and thought of my northerners. You'll be snapdragons soon enough!

nancygrayce said...

It got almost to 80 here today. I can't imagine all that snow!!! :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

giggle giggle Keetha!
We of the frozen tundra get excited about the little signs of spring!
We still have a yard full of snow but I am seeing it move and finding things I forgot about!
Happy Weekend,
Cindy

TS Hendrik said...

Looks like spring to me.

Unknown said...

Our biggest sign of spring is the purple henbit blooming everywhere! We got all our snow for the year in two days and it melted in a week--such is the south!

Holly said...

Wow, there's grass under there! That always impressed me after a long winter. Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Well that looks a little better:) Daffodils and a few trees are blooming here, it will burst out today, high of 72 today. Aaaaaa, life is good:)It will be a nice evening for an action-packed varsity softball game with my big lens and trigger finger hard at work haha:)

Tonya said...

I went to college in Wisconsin: NBBC. I LOVED how beautiful it was there! Winters should do last long there!!! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! :) Your blog looks like a fun one to follow! :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It's coming, maybe a little slow but I am sure those flowers will be showing their pretty little heads soon. Great pictures. Have a wonderful weekend.

Pearl said...

There is almost no snow left in downtown Minneapolis.

YAY!!

Pearl

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks for the reminder. I turned on our A/C an hour or so ago . . .

42N said...

Wow, you had a far greater snow cover than we did. Ours (mostly from the February 1-2 blizzard) is all gone a few weeks ago. I was racking the lawn this week to get rid of old dead grass and leaves. Pretty soon you will need to update your masthead.

j said...

I'm cracking up down here in Alabama. It's all about perspective, isn't it? If I looked at those pictures without reading your post, I would NOT think "signs of spring." Thanks for educating me :)