Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bicycles, Wagons, and Automobiles

.

One evening while Fisherhubby was in Canada getting up close and personal with green scaly things, I met my friends Bill and Eloise (E-Lois) at Culver's for a little fellowship and repast.

I'm a "younger" whipper snapper in my late 50's - - - I drove my car to Culver's.

Bill and Eloise (E-Lois) are "older" whipper snappers in their late 70's - - - they rode their BIKES to Culver's.

They say confession is good for the soul so here's mine: I DON'T EVEN OWN A BIKE!


A few days later, while Fisherhubby was still recreating north of the border, Bill, Eloise (E-Lois) and I "manned" the city Food Pantry.

It was a hot and sultry day in the now thoroughly thawed and heated Tundra of Central Wisconsin. This pantry room became a sauna.


The phone on this little desk would ring and "the powers that be" at the screening office would tell us we had an order and for how many people. Eloise (E-Lois) generally was the secretary who gathered all the information we needed.


Next, Bill and I would take the "shopping list," which was tailored to the number of people receiving that particular order, and go up and down the aisles filling paper grocery bags with the necessary food items.

We had a system, and our system worked wonders.

Good thing too - - - one of our orders was for a family of 9 adults - - - that took A LOT of grocery bag packin', let me tell you!


As we filled the bags, we loaded them into wagon carts in the hall. And I do mean loaded.


When the family arrived to pick up their groceries, we would haul the wagons to the end of the long hallway where the family would cart them out to their waiting vehicles.

In the space of two hours we filled and hauled 8 grocery orders.

It was a great day at the Food Pantry.

.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy! My confession - I own a bike, a very nice one, but I detest bike riding. Hate it madly. There is no point in me owning a bike.

Anonymous said...

From a girl who has 4 bikes, I'm tellin' you.....GET A BIKE!

You can ride until you are ancient and it's FUN!

I'd ride with ya if I were closer.

Nice Food Pantry story. You are all wonderful people to volunteer.

Warm hugs
Jan

Ann in the UP said...

Someone stole my bike and it hasn't been replaced yet. I'm too old to ride a bike that makes my balance up in the air.

Perhaps I really need a trike. Like a Big Wheels.

Pam said...

Is the food pantry also at the church?